Originally Posted by triple_deuce
Woodmaster, mine has a bunch of different stampings on it. Would you know what they are or mean? I will try to post a couple pictures of them. I know there are 3 different ones stamped on the bottom of the receiver.

Sorry, I kind of forgot about this thread.

Those numbers are fitter, assembler, and inspector marks. They occur on numerous places on the gun.

The best resource for these guns is John Henwood's "The Great Remington 8 and 81 Autoloading Rifles". The Remington website is a treasure trove of knowledgable people on these guns. Your "Krieger" conversion looks like mine which I don't believe is a Krieger. Another posted a similar gun on the site a while back which is how I came to think mine is not a Krieger. It feeds well and the mag is secure in the well so it was well done. There is a guide to help identify a Krieger gun on the website.

Model 8s came in 25, 30, and 32 calibers to go with the original 35 caliber. The former are literally rimless versions of the Winchester 25/35, 30/30, and 32 Special rounds. The dies for the latter can make useable ammunition with the right she'll holder. If necessary, one can turn the rim off any of the Winchester cases and then cut an extractor groove to make cases for the Remington cartridges. The 35 Rem is on its own unique case head size.

The 81 originally came in 30, 32, and 35 calibers with 25 caliber being listed but few made. The 32 was replaced by the 300 Savage in 1940 or thereabouts. In the short time the 300 was available, it became the #2 seller over both models.

I need to find another 8 in 32 caliber and an 81 in 30. I foolishly sold the ones I had thinking I could pick up new ones. Since I did this I haven't found a gun nice enough to replace them. At least not reasonably priced.