Originally Posted by 99guy
The model 81 is a much uglier clunky cumbersome version of the model 8. There were many model 8's made with pistol grips. I wouldn't trade one model 8 for a dump truck load of 81's. The only good thing you can say about the 81's is they were chambered in 300 Savage and the model 8s were not.

At least to me, and I have handled and owned dozens of these guns in my life, in our 99 language comparing a model 8 to an 81 is like comparing a pre war G to a post mil E.

Guess it's up to the individual to determine what looks nice and what isn't. To me, the Model 8 looks as it is missing something without the pistol grip, sort of a starved Model 81. In my eye they are neither ugly or clunky. Of course the Remington 8/81's sort or have the reputation as a 'ugly' rifle anyway to some when comparing them with sleek lever or bolt rifles. I've always preferred the 81, but I'd take a 8 ifin it was in good shape and didn't have scope mount holes drilled into the receiver and/or a recoil pad added to the stock.

As far as Model 8's having pistol grip stocks, never happened, at least from the factory. The only exception were the Fabrique Nationale d'Armes Model 1900 (FN 1900) made in Belgium before WW1 and some say a few after. These were clones of Remington's Model 8, but most had a solid rib on top of the barrel, a checkered forearm, and a checkered round knob pistol grip. They bring big dollars if in good to excellent condition. I've seen what are described as Model 8's with a Model 81 stock that was fabricated to it and Model 81's with straight Model 8 stocks added. These are rifles that had some gunsmith do add-on's. The receiver serial number gives them away as to if they are 8's or 81's. The stocks aren't just able to switch from one model to another as the Model 81 has the rear of the trigger group's tang bent to accommodate the wooden pistol grip.

In 1936 when Remington switched over to the Model 81 from the 8, they did have a heavier, thicker forearm, but by around 1939 or so, they slimmed it down and shortened it. It wasn't an exact duplicate of the Model 8 forearm, but not as thick as the original Model 81. Saw a Model 8 with a serial number that dated it pre-WW1 not long ago for sale online that the seller described it as all original that had a pistol grip stock. Another seller had a post WW2 81 with a Model 8 style straight stock that the seller claimed was original and rare. NOT!!!!!! 99guy---Check out Henwood's book and the 8/81 forum as far as when straight vs pistol grips were produced on 8/81's. As far as looks, "Eye of the Beholder"! I don't care for the looks of Savage 99 PerchBelly stocks, some like em. I don't care for over engraved firearms, some droll at em., but hey---enjoy your posts, you take care.