Took a college roommate on his first hunt, lent him my shotgun, gave him very specific directions on how to get to a good stand (public land), and sent him on his way. I came out of the woods as shooting light waned, and he’s standing in the middle of the road, no back tag, loaded gun. I asked where his deer was, and he pointed in the general direction of the woods, so I told him to unload the gun, put it away, and take me to the deer. So he did. The spot I sent him to was about a 1/4 mile from the car, he took me about a half mile past that through the cedar swamp and some ugly terrain. We did find his buck, which he had shot through the spine (loins) and the shoulder. I asked if he left any edible meat on the small buck, and he looked at me quizzically. I asked him to break out his knife and get to work, he had no knife (back at the car with the gun) and didn’t know how to gut a deer. I told him I’d do it, but he had to drag it. He was ok with that. A few minutes later, the deer was ready, and I pointed out that we were close to a ski trail that led close to the car, and he should drag it there. He decided to beeline it to the car, through the cedar swamp, through the blow downs and rough terrain. It was amusing watching him do that, but he was smoked by the time we got to the car. There’s just no helping some folks, I guess. We processed that deer while hanging it from the third roommates swingset at his folks house. What was left of it fed some broke college kids for quite a while.

Old70