B.C. Good story. It reminded me of one similar years ago.

In the early days of Pennsylvania muzzleloader hunting, our group of seven only had three muzzleloaders between us all. We were passing the rifles around and taking turns. Deer were numerous back then so everyone was getting shots and learning about the variances of each weapon, each being a different model.

I was taking a turn with a borrowed Hawkin when a herd of about six or seven came busting down the mountain right at me, splitting up, some going on each side of me at close range. I proceeded to miss one at point blank range as the big doe blew by. I was pretty disgusted with myself and the next buddy I came across I passed off the rifle to him and commenting I didn't deserve to carry it after missing one so close. i would go on moving deer for everyone else.

I must add that the night before at camp, a good friend had tipped me to the distance his muzzleloader was tuned to hit where with his open sites. I took good note of that as it was a very nice rifle and was hoping to get a turn with it on game.

So back to me wandering around pushing deer. I came across one of the new guys standing on the crest of the mountain looking down the other side. I eased my way up to him and he pointed to a big doe bedded on a rock looking down the mountain. I asked him why he hadn't taken a shot and he said it was too far. I said just sneak down through the rocks and belly slide out to where he could get a shot at half the distance. He said he would screw it up and handed me that rifle that I had received site instructions. Here, you do it.

Down through the rocks I went and slid out on that rock and shot that deer in the spine, it never moving. The new guy came down all excited at witnessing the whole affair. He was curious as to what happened next. I said this is where the work started. I told him I could talk him through the whole gutting process, as he was interested in learning. He did as instructed. Now what he says. Now we drag it back to camp.

I hooked up a length of cord and he grabbed it and started dragging it off in the direction of camp. That night, after a couple of beers, he went on to tell the whole camp the story of the day.

After his very detailed telling, one of the other guys asked if he heard it all right. So let me get this straight. You gave him the rifle, to let him shoot the deer, and you gutted it for him and then drug it back to camp for him. Is that right? Yep, he says. My bud spoke up to ask if he would hunt with him tomorrow.