Originally Posted by gunzo
With all the doom, gloom, panic, click bait, on & on in the nation/world, I just don't pay much attention to a lot of it. Amplify all the problems when the west coast is involved, so I really let a lot of those stories get by me.

But... I've been watching vids of the Lake levels & it doesn't look like it's one of scare stories that; if this rate it'll be dry in 10 years. Heck, at the the rate Mead is dropping it'll be dry a lot sooner, way sooner.

Not trying to preach doom but this looks to be a very serious situation for all that are served water & electricity from it. Are there many, if any, plan B's & C's in place?

I've lived next to Lk. Mead most of my life being a native of the Las Vegas Valley.
Here are a few facts and illustrations concerning what we're facing. As you can see, Las Vegas will have access to the lakes water after all other users are left dry.
Unfortunately, with that being the case, our local leaders are unconcerned about growth and the population influx will continue unabated.

Lake Mead
1983 - elevation 1,221.4' - Highest water level, spillway gates reached
6/27/22 - elevation 1,043.35' - Current water level (178' below spillway limit)
Minimum elevation for full power generation is elevation 1,050' (We are now below that).
We are currently in the lake level phase called "Inactive Pool"; the elevation below which full power can no longer be generated but water can still be released downstream.
At elevation 950' power generation ceases.
At elevation 900' we hit "Dead Pool"; no water can pass through the dam to Arizona, California, or Mexico.
Water is currently dropping at about 8" per day.
Of the five Marinas and that were historically operating Hemingway Harbor near Boulder City is the only one still open with 2 lanes of pipe mat ramps limited to shallow draft vessels under 24' length.

Las Vegas has three water intakes to pull water from the lake, the highest one is now out of the water. Intake #2 will be out of the water at about 1.050'. The newest and deepest intake #3 can draw water from down to about 875' which is below "Dead Pool" and why Las Vegas is not in danger of losing it's water supply for quite some time.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Let's Go Brandon! FJB