Originally Posted by deflave
If a person wants to run any optic on an AR they need to have a candid conversation with themselves about what they intend to use that AR for.

"Groups" and red dots rarely mix. It's not the point of a red dot.

I do find comments regarding solar panels and battery life a bit curious because most are advertised as having 20K and north levels of battery life. Holosun gets particularly weird because they adopted the EoTech style reticle, but most fail to recognize that use of that reticle cuts battery life in half. Holosun is also heavy on solar panels. How is this solar panel helping you? How are you/we affirming the fugking thing even works? How many hours per day are you spending with your weapon while exposed to the sun? And if you are spending eight or ten hours in the sun with your weapon, how are we measuring the benefit of these solar panels on an optic that is advertised as having a life of five fugking years?

If somebody tells me they have left the battery running in an AimPoint Micro or Trijicon MRO for four years (I have) I can believe them. If you give that same account regarding a Holosun, I gotta kinda wonder if you understand the concept of time.

Companies like Holosun really shine because they provide a shooter with limited budget to validate "proof of concept" regarding something they may not have otherwise been able to give a go. Of course proof of concept involves things like specified target size, range at which it is engaged, and the time a respective shooter required to ensure hits with one type of sight vs. another. If you're not objectively looking at these things, what's the point?

I don't expect most shooters to become that involved but I do expect them to please understand that a company like Trijicon or Aimpoint isn't going to reinvent the wheel every time a handful of jerkoffs think that maybe something might work a smidge better on the rifle that sees 54 rounds a decade. When you introduce electronics into an optic, you can rest assured reliability will go south if it's not engineered and built correctly. Companies like Trijicon and Aimpoint exhaust all options to ensure these things work. Others, not so much...

Last but not least, tactics is the employing of available means to accomplish an end.

So before equipping your AR, shotgun, or overall bad guy shooter, you need to ask what that end is. Otherwise you're just wasting your and everyone else's time.

But all those facts make a spontaneous purchase so difficult.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."