I was able to get a 7.3 F250 off the dealers lot in late December. It has the 3.55, CCSB, 4x4. I really don't need the 4x4, seems kind of silly in a truck that big. There are virtually NO 2wd trucks anywhere. I really don't need 4wd on the mean streets of SoCal. It is also Iconic silver which is usually a color only available on order and is $300 more than the standard colors. I recently checked the dealer where I bought it and they had NO new F250/350s on the lot. The 10 speed can be a little clunky at times but the downhill hold in tow/haul mode is amazing.
I made my decision based on the fact that I won't be towing more than 8500 lbs. and am only pulling 7200 right now. With the diesel being and $8000 upgrade and diesel being about a buck a gallon more, it was going to take a while to make up the difference. As was said, not even considering the maintenance upcharge and fuel additives etc. I also don't have to worry about fuel contamination at out of the way gas stations which we do from time to time. I haven't pulled the trailer since May so I would be paying the diesel premium for the occasional trip to HD and hauling a 220lb. dirt bike and gear. I can easily hit 80 with my trailer but am not real into that with a bumper pull trailer. I've seen short periods of 17 MPG but it's hard to get a nice long run like that in SoCal. I did see 19 once at 60, on a slight down grade for about 3 miles. (I might have had a tailwind too) I did see 6.7 in a 35 mph headwind. Imagine having to accelerate going downhill to maintain 60 mph.
I'm very happy so far with my truck though I only have 7700 miles on it.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.