Originally Posted by saddlesore
Not to change anyone's mind, but the common thing I see in this thread is people with gassers are getting about 14mg empty and 7-9 hauling loads.

It is not a Ford,but my 18Chevy 2500HD Duramax gets 23 empty running 80 mph and 14 mpg with a total load of about 17,000 pounds (truck, camper, 3 horse bumper pull, animals,tack, feed ,40gal of water) running 60-65 mph.

That is about double what the gassers are claiming. With gas at $4 /gal (maybe a tad less) and diesel at a tad less than $5 a gal. That is false economy to think you are saving money. You get about a 20% cost saving on the gas, but almost a 50% loss in mileage

Realizing of course the higher initial price of the diesel and more cost in maintenance. But a large increase in pulling capability.

You have to consider fuel prices in different parts of the country. Here gas is 3.09 right now and diesel is 4.39.

I drove nothing but diesels for 25 years straight, of every brand, I never once saw 14 mpg pulling that heavy except with pre emission diesels (read that 93 to 1999 or so), and never saw 23 on a regular basis except with a two wheel drive first generation cummins.

I'm not saying I'm doubting what your saying, again I think its a geographical thing. My diesels (and the 7.3 gas I drive now) always got better mileage at higher altitudes than they do here at home in Texas.

My 6.7 powerstroke only averaged 3 mpg better than the 7.3 gas I'm running now, loaded and unloaded. The 7.3 pulls, and pulls well. I've grossed around 24k with and it did fine.