Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by Igloo
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
Tikka started out as a budget rifle. Popularity has driven prices higher. It retains a a lot of ease-of-manufacturing shortcuts. One-size-fits-all receiver length, tubular reciever, inability to top of the magazinbe without removing it. And all that's fine if it works well. But the one thing I simply can't stand is that weird recoil lug design - where the is a loose aluminum recoil lug wedge that is pressed into the stock and engages a notch in the bottom of the receiver. Since that design was introduced, the net has been replete with comments on that fact that those wedges get deformed over time, that they inadequately engage the receiver, that they get lost - so much so to the point that some users shoot them without the lug. The recoil lug needs to be integral with the receiver like on Mausers, Win M70s and Ruger M77s, or between the barrel like on Rem 700s and Browning X-Bolts. The recoil lug should not be a little loose piece that can be lost, or has to be glued into the stock, or has to be replaced with an after-market steel lug due deformation of the stock aluminum lug. To me, of all the things in a Tikka, that recoil lug screams "cheap." Otherwise, they apparently work fine, and to me look nice.

Since the T3x came on the scene it has a steel lug. The shroud is also steel. The Lug is certainly a PITA at times but is effective, a lot of rifles have done away with the conventional recoil lug whether it is sandwiched between the barrel and receiver or a piece of the action.

You beat me to it. The T3x has made the aluminum lug a thing of the past.

As for the "one size fits all" receiver I don't see how its actually a problem, rather than an issue of preference. Same with asthetics. Some may like it, some may not, but they seem far from being an objective problem.

I dunno, still not seeing any way a 700 is actually demonstrably better. More like people just prefer one over the other for their own reasons.

Magazine, BDL floorplate and ADL are available from the factory and tons of aftermarket offerings as well.
2 action lengths allows longer COAL
Better gas handling in the case of a pierced primer. Right lug raceway is wide open on a Tikka
Triigertech,Timney,Geiselle ,Shilen and Jewell triggers.
Every stockmaker out there has a 700 pattern .
Scope mounting options
More Gunsmiths that know how to work on them
Receiver can be lightened on a 700 not on a Tikka.

The bit about gas handling is a great point! That is what I am looking for.

The rest is all about the availability of custom options, which doesn't really say the 700 is a better rifle in any way. If anything, it says a ton of it is often replaced. But in any case, does not mean superiority over a Tikka. Just that there is more ability to customize if someone wants.

Means nothing if they don't.

But at least there's one or two good points where a Remington 700 is better than a Tikka, because everything else so far in the thread seems to be "I like it better".

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers