Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
If that’s the case and you are unhappy with it, go find another job. You didn’t state what you do but assuming you have some skills there’s a shortage in the skilled trades right now. My guys make about $115k a year as heavy equipment mechanics. People stupidly put up with all kinds of nonsense from prik employers but find every excuse to stay it seems. Best thing you can do is switch employers every 3-5 years. Loyalty will just get you schitt on!
Take what we’ll give you or we’ll threaten to outsource to China or an illegal Mexican.

As mentioned above moving jobs every so often is good advice.

The trades covers a big swath. I worked in the trades for 10 years and was happy to leave for a better paying more stable job in the chemical industry. The trades can be a great decision for some but are not all that they’re cracked up to be.

30-40 employees and the owner, his brother’s, his sons and a few nephews make bank the other 20 make $65k a year averaging out to $115k overall since they’re all tradesmen. There’s nothing wrong with that but it skews the numbers and is the norm in the industry. With travel time unpaid for between jobs at employee expense and zero paid holidays and zero vacation time. The healthcare and retirement were good. I was with the IBEW local 692 for reference.

It can be spun a lot of ways but overall for Joe average most tradesmen when factoring in travel or living out of motels, the amount of knowledge and backbreaking work involved most are under paid and not raking in well over six figures consistently on anything close to a standard 40 hour workweek.

If the average tradesman was making anywhere near a $115k a year we wouldn’t haven’t a shortage and guys leaving it for other industries.