I was 14 when I bought my first center fire rifle…..took almost a year to save the cash needed! It was a Winchester Model 88 in .308 Win.

The rifle weighed only just over 7 pounds! I shot it quite a few years without a scope and to this day retains the factory plastic butt plate! I survived, and shot it pretty darn good. Shot several large birds in flight, a crow at over 200 yards, many hand thrown #303 cans, ect, ect.!

If fact, growing up on this rifle likely contributed to my being able to easily handle the “punishing” recoil of the 6.5 Crudmore! 😂

If you son has a real desire to shoot/hunt, a rifle with today’s superior recoil pads, stock fit, and the popularity of muzzle breaks (God forbid) ……he should have no issues with a .308 Win. or even something with a bit more recoil! JMO! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024