Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I don't care if a dog is running deer I won't shoot them for that. In fact it's illegal to do so here. Very rarely will a dog catch a deer or run it to exhaustion or death.. You can legally shoot them for harassing or killing livestock.
Several years ago there were 3 dogs frequenting my place that killed every fawn born that year. To understand the problem I would have to show you an aerial photo or take you for a ride around. There are 70 acres adjoining me that has about 7 or 8 trailer houses of black folks that have dogs which used to run amok, they were bad dogs. One of the 3 dogs was a big solid black and I have never seen a dog that could chase a deer that fast. He had 2 white dog companions almost as fast that would come in behind him. One day after carrying my rifle all day looking for him to show up I finally climbed up in a box stand at about 4:30 to try for a deer. A doe came streaking through at top speed, then the black dog so fast I couldn't get a shot. I had been trying to get a shot on him for a month after getting lots of pictures and finding several half eaten fawns. I called the state trapper for advice. He told be to set a big Conibear body grip trap with the trigger on bottom and to tie some red raw meat to the trigger which is what I did, and I had him the next morning dead as a hammer. Then I caught one of the white ones and the other was put into captivity by the owners.

As for that Husky the girl killed. They are bad dogs out in the country also. My neighbor to the north had 2 calves killed by a mama Husky/Pit hybrid and her 4 big pups about 8 to 10 months old. He made the mistake of complaining to the keeper of the dogs and was rebuffed. He went and climbed up in a nearby box blind and when they returned he shot the mama dog first and then shot all 4 of the young dogs.

Dogs will certainly kill deer and calves. I think for the most part we have convinced the black folks their dogs ain't comin' home if they come our way. We bought our place with our own money to raise cattle and hunt not to provide entertainment and beef and venison for bad dogs.
I've seen dogs chase deer dozens of times. Only once did one of my coon hounds catch up to a doe. When he did she apparently landed a good kick as he yelped and came running back with his tail between his legs. I've witnessed beagles chasing deer many times and watched the deer circle and wait, watching and listening until the dogs caught up before taking off again. The dogs never caught up and eventually give up the chase. I know dogs will occasionally catch and kill deer but it's rare. Mostly happens on deep crusted snow which I doubt you get much of in the South. It's funny you have so many feral dogs/packs running around down there. We rarely have them here. Strays yes, ferals no. Coyotes kill far more fawns than dogs do around here but there's always been plenty of deer.
Blackheart, a fawn is not the same as a deer. A dog can run a fawn down in a couple of minutes. I don't plant 50+ acres for the wildlife twice a year, feed 25+ tons of corn and allow no one to walk in the woods so dogs can chase the deer off my property. It ain't going to happen no matter what the law says or people think.

Life is good live it while you can.