For many years I sharpened knives on my fathers old tool and die bench stones. Those blades were
factory carbon steel heat treated to some where in mid/upper 50s Rc so it was easy to get them
what I thought to be reasonably sharp. I bought 3 new large bench stones and was able to do a bit
better. I found that when I made blades of more modern steels and they were at a higher Rc I was
struggling to get to "scary sharp". Then Boise loaned me his Edge Pro. WOW. I soon ordered my own
and use it for all knives except for kitchen and filet knives that get sharpened on the Work Sharp.

I finish sharpening with 600 grit and then an impregnated leather strop. I carry a leather strop with me in
the field for touch up, but never need it.

Holding a consistent angle is very important and nearly impossible with hand held stones.
A consistent angle, rolling a burr and removing that burr are very important.

Sharp is relative to what YOU are happy with. Scary sharp is a game changer for me.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".