Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Why people don't care to understand the physics of the right steel, putting a proper bevel on a knife by hand, and maintaining that edge is the real question.

Lots of machines out there that put a sharp edge on anything resembling a knife, but knowing cutlery and how to sharpen it is a life skill every outdoorsman... hell, everybody should learn.

I ruined several good knives over the years because I didn't understand what Rockinbbar mentioned. Just wore out the blades and never got them sharp. I decided to learn to sharpen a knife and the internet has been a good resource. Watching lots of videos and generally learn something from each one. First thing I learned was everyone does it differently and seems to think their way is best. I have several of the sharpening systems mentioned in this thread and they all work to some extent. I am still learning about the different kinds of stones, flattening stones, honing, stropping and lapping. Education is a lifelong process. I can say this for sure, the secret is the burr.