28 inch 6x6 Muley taken with a 22 - 250 about 200 yds through a thin bit of brush. 60 gr Hornady Interlock. I like the 60 gr NP loaded by Federal but they were $60/box vs $20 for Hornady. I just usually go with the Hornady for coyotes, deer - if I'm mainly quail hunting, hogs, brown crows, ....

I would have no qualms about shooting a bull elk through the ribs with it. I knew a guy in CO who's killed quite a few elk with the same. Says he's shot some out to 400 yds. I'd be pretty concerned about wind drift.

In fact, using either you ought to do some 200 yd 15 - 20 mph crosswind target shooting. That's another reason for the 22 250.

I've killed several W Tails with the 223 iirc some with the Hornady and some with 55 gr Win SP.

I have considered using the 223 sneaking through thick mesquite bowls for mule deer because of the AR platform.

Don't know if that would be a good idea or not. In fact, if I had a gun bearer to carry a rifle in that situation, I'm not sure a 12g semiautomatic with 00 Buck wouldn't be a bad idea.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by jaguartx; 10/09/22.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin