Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by Potsy
Chronographed some Winchester .38 158 LRN recently that clocked around 620fps out of my 4” Model 15.
My loads run right at 850 with a 158 Lee FN cast out of wheel weights.
To my mind, that’s two different animals. Though admittedly I’ve never shot anything living with a .38.

These :

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

are Polymer coated 158 grain SWCs. Thanks to modern advancements in powders (don't ask me for the load) as well as bullet coatings they run around what the old 38-44 loads did back in the day, but are safe for K Frame and J Frames with steel cylinders.

In testing velocity numbers are as follows:

Ruger Security 6" 1200 FPS
S&W Model 15 4" 1115 FPS
S&W Model 442 1&7/8ths" 1020 FPS

Inserting shameless link here:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/17745764#Post17745764

When doing the chronograph work I tested some American Eagle 158 grain .357 Magnum jacketed soft point.

The American Eagle Jacketed Soft Point .357 Magnum was 10-12 FPS slower on average (I tested a couple times) than this Poly Coated SWC .+P 38 Special ammo.

The fact is that with proper loading techniques, and modern components, the .38 Special is far more capable than the old days of round nose lead at 750 -850 FPS.

The only thing holding it back is that there are quite a few older .38 Specials out there, some of which can be over 100 years old, so some of the larger ammo companies put out rather watered down ammo, similar in fashion to the 30-06. Most of the factory 30-06 is not even close to being loaded to its potential due to concerns of it being fired in a rifle that is not in proper working order.

The .38 Special load shown above was far from the max load found during development and T&E. However, it was a good point where excellent velocity and accuracy came together in a fine tuned load.

It turns the 4" K Frame .38 Combate Masterpiece into a whole other animal.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Good stuff. I've been doing a fair bit of loading & shooting with 38's & 357's lately. Saw your velocity results and my first thought was "Yup, those are about 357 magnum level."

I do enjoy shooting a good 38/357 revolver and carry one often.

Regards, Guy