Originally Posted by mirage243
Originally Posted by TreeMutt
Jim Cirrillo was a NYPD stakeout squad cop back in the 60s. Was involved in more than 250 shootouts and survived, killed more people than any other cop.

His main weapon was a Smith Model 10, 38 Special. Not sure what loads but back then issue ammo was pretty anemic. I think he rolled his own but not sure.

250 shootouts ????? Come on man, Joe Biden tell you that story?

my brother went on the job, NYPD 1978. He knew Jim Cirillo, never worked with him but met him quite a few times. i’m not sure how many shoot outs he had But I think 250 he would’ve been rubber gunned permanently :-) I think he took a couple of guys with a 12 gauge double barrel Stevens. My brother had 8 shoot outs as a New York City police Officer,six on the books two never reported :-) that’s the way it was back then. The majority of his time was spent in the 77 Precinct Utica Ave., Brooklyn, NY. One of the worst precinct's if not the worst precinct New York City, look it up. In his career he was narcotics/stakeout squad, Street crime and gun squad. His last few years he was homicide. he retired as a first grade detective. He retired in 2006.When he was in the gun squad he had 125 guns off the street in one year, They were his collars he told me he gave a half a dozen away to the new guys to give them a gun collar make them look good. my brother always carried two revolvers, a model 10, and numerous different snubnose revolvers over the years. He felt the 38 special was A good caliber it got the job done. he’s got some crazy stories, loved every minute of it until the last couple years in a homicide sounds crazy but that’s what got to him. Sorry for the long post, those guys back then we’re some of the best cops in the world, if not the best. they didn’t have their hands tied, they ran the streets!