Originally Posted by 160user
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
I tell people to get a Ruger .380 for home protection. It might not kill them outright but it's small and easy to point in a rush. They'll know they entered the wrong house.

I come from a different school of thought. I keep 12 gauge pumps with extended magazines around. Magazine loaded, chamber empty, safety off and dry fired. All I need to do is stroke the slide once and I am ready to go to work. Everyone knows that sound so that is the "warning shot". Middle of the night, dark, no glasses (likely slightly intoxicated) A 12 gauge is my "go to", not a handgun.

Agree with 160 here.

There is no reason to deliberately handicap yourself by intentionally choosing a marginal cartridge/platform over something that would be considered optimal. A person generally does not get to choose the circumstances of a lethal force incident, but in the context of home protection, as stated above, I would choose a shotgun or rifle/carbine over a handgun. If the long gun was not an option I would choose a semi auto handgun with a significant on board capacity that allowed me to deal with situations and not worry about reloading initially, as my hands may be occupied doing other tasks.

Ive investigated a fair number of shootings. One thing I have noted is that in the distances where most fights take place, people who get hit with shotguns and rifles, I end up examining those people at an autopsy. People shot with handguns usually go to the hospital. A good part of that reason is that many of the people who get shot with handguns get shot with cheap FMJ type ammunition and their wounds are less than impressive. Many get treated and released withing hours. People who get shot with other types of ammo, often do not do as well.

Shotguns, when loaded with traditional buck and slug, simply are devastating. Same can be said for some heavy field loads. One case I worked was a triple. A double murder, then suicide where the scumbag used a shotgun. He shot the mom and young daughter with goose loads at less than 10 feet, before he put the barrel under his chin and painted the ceiling and surrounding area with bone, brain and blood matter.

Long story short. Shotguns at very close range are completely devastating.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com