Originally Posted by bwinters
Originally Posted by deflave
Does anyone hear believe the wound channel of a 10mm can’t kill a big bear?

Was wondering the same myself. I'm not sure full penetration by a 200-220 gr hard cast is somehow significantly different than same with a 0.429, 280 gr. In fact, I'd take the hard case 220 10mm over a 44 cal non-hard cast.

In my mind, Phil's experience seems to bear out, pun intended, that raw fire power is not the measure of effectiveness. It's holes through the animal in the right place. For me, I shoot my G20 better and faster than my heavy loaded revolvers. The only variable is penetration. I'm 100% sure a 220 hard cast from a 10mm is up to the penetration challenge. I spend considerable time with my 10mm and am pretty confident in its use and effectiveness if the need arises. Plus it has 15 accomplices if need be.

Yep. I agree. And while 16 rounds of 220 gr Buffalo Bore Hard Cast Outdoorsman load is never a bad choice in my opinion. Ive been carrying a Glock 20 with that load for YEARS. And will continue to do so when hunting in any state that has bears. It’s my go to gun when bow hunting for deer and elk in bear county.
But Proper shot placement and penetration can’t be stressed enough. I believe Phil’s encounter proves that fact. And if I recall correctly, he was using the Buffalo Bore Hard Cast Outdoorsman load in his 9mn that day.
I’ve never killed a charging Grizz, but between all the many, many hogs I’ve killed at the Ranch with both that same 10mm load and with Ruger Blackhawks in .44 mag and 45 colt using a 260 gr WFN LBT hard cast bullets at about 1000 FPS, they were nearly all DRT. And 90% of the time, all of those bullets exited the hog. And I couldn’t tell one bit of difference on which load and bullet killed the best.
They were all just as dead as the others. 🤔

Last edited by chlinstructor; 11/05/22.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~