A couple of incidents,
So some of you that know me know I had a tangle with a black bear. I was carrying what now I believe is about the worst gun you could possible carry. A 5.5” super Blackhawk 44 shooting 320s at full tilt. The problem was I missed when it matter the most, at point blank range. Ultimately the bear lost and maybe became scared from the report as he jumped off to the side within seconds. I will tell you this right now, that revolver seemed unbelievably slow clearing leather when the a bear coming at full tilt is right on you. $hit happens. I carry now a G19, shield plus, or a 686 + with 158s or 173s at @1k.
We were hiking when pit bull came screaming around the trail. The owner had absolute fear in his voice as his dog rounded the bend. I sent one in the back of his neck. That was that. I had a G19 in a chest rig. Very fast.
Living remote in AK, I have had quite a bit experience with bears. Every black bear I’ve seen hit never wanted anything to do with anyone after that. Except one. I was 22? and was stalking a bear in the creek with my friend. I took a shot and because she was looking back, and it was dark in woods I shot her through the gut at 20 yards with my 458. She instantly came at me. My dear friend with his 7mm mag froze and I pulled off a second shot at the last moment and was knockdown. That first 458 shot had zero visible effect.
I would not take horsepower over firepower and controllability with a handgun. Even though the one bear took a 458 and charged, I’d rather have the control and multiple rounds. Without a doubt a 357 has plenty of penetration . I understand that a solid hit with a 44 has more value with the same hit with a 9mm or cast 357, but that’s not how I’d expect it to go. Not for me at least.