Originally Posted by troutfly
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Good stuff! Looks like some beautiful countryside. Some darn good eating there that has been hard earned.
Jeff

Hey Jeff, did you get to hunt any Mullies in southern Alberta this year?

One of my boys killed a fantastic 6x6 elk just east of Suffield though.

The areas I normally hunt have been ravaged by CWD now. Not seeing many large bucks in the areas around Medicine Hat like we used too.
Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Suffield area has some tremendous Elk opportunities, probably the best in the province, don't know if it's as good as it was prior to the culling program a few years ago? Great to get a 6x6.

Just curious to know if the Government irradicated the Mullies in the zones you hunt in?

They did in the zone where I hunt with helicopters and shooting them, I was told, then two sever back-to-back winters further decimated the Mule Deer population. Where I use to see well over 100 Mullies a day, now you're lucky if you see more than 10.

I have had every deer tested for CWD since the testing became mandatory many years ago, not 1 tested positive.

Sad situation and poor deer management IMO.

Cheers ~

Hey KB,
I actually work on the base as a contractor to the Canadian Armed Forces.
There are still some excellent elk opportunities on the base and, with the right owner access, around the perimeter too. The early years of the base hunt saw some very good animals taken for sure. The whole idea was to bring the numbers to a sustainable level. Now the hunt is in place to hold the numbers as stable as possible.
Yep, my son is quite happy with his 6x6. Got it exactly where I told him to look. Wish I had a tag.......lol

One of the areas I hunt mulies was where the initial CWD positive was killed. It was also on the AB gov list to cull heavily, which they did. Unfortunately, but, not unexpectedly either, the cull didn't work. Go figurer.....
The last time I hunted a certain property, there were skeletons of deer in many spots. It was eerie to say the least. This property was producing good numbers of large, 4x4 and up, bucks. The does were large and healthy as well. Now it is a graveyard. This was a year ago. I doubt I'll hunt deer there again as the land itself is CWD contaminanted. Damn shame the way it has played out. I fear for the entire eastern side of the province. Hopefully the elk will dodge the CWD bullet....
Jeff

I hear you; the whole situation disgusts me!

Maybe we should talk? I can put in for Suffield draw next year and if I win, you can join me and have half of the elk?

If you are interest, feel free to shot me a PM :o)

Cheers ~

KB