Sort it out by cuts and that is a deer's worth, with the possible exception of the ground - fat added perhaps. Bigger than 150, or camera distortion? I'm used to whacking bigger things than runty little deer so I could be mistaken. smile

From the left- burger from fronts, ribs, misc., and stew ( I'd have more stew - crock pot makes tougher pieces tender, and I love stew)

Steaks and roasts from the rump

bones and neck/shoulder meat

backstrap

tenderloins

misc. steak- probably from front shoulders
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Shooting male animals deep in rut and/or through the shoulders...... well you get what you ask for.

An observation from experience , not a criticism. I don't do that anymore - at least the rut part. And not the front shoulders unless need be or an oopsie. I prefer at the back edge of the shoulder or a head/neck shot if I can get it.

But then I'm not hunting next to property lines and seldom right at dusk. Milages vary.

I never add fat to wild meat I process. If needed, olive oil or, preferably, butter when cooking (fug chloresteral- I have way more good than bad anyway. smile. ).

If taking it in for sausage, etc. I specify the least amount of fat added they will let me get away with - usually 10-15 % -apparently it aids in the grinding, or stuffing, or something, and they insist. Or maybe it's just for their bottom line.

Where else can one sell a waste product for profit?

Last edited by las; 11/24/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.