The R and RS wood was the same.

Keith's remark about 2 point vs 3 pt, refers to the checkering design of the time.

R did not have sling attachments while the RS did (Keith's photo). The ones on the rifle in question are modern with flats on the sides for modern swivels. That might have been changed or added. Main thing would be that the holes are in the correct location.

The R had only a standard rear sight while the RS had a 2 leaf folding Lyman #6 rear sight (Keith's photo) and a Lyman 30 1/2 tang sight. Note: if the elevator of the R rear sight is moved it will leave a wear mark on top of the barrel. This mark can sometime help in determination should sight have been removed/changed.

Savage stopped logging rifles before the rifle in question was produced. The scope and mount was an option but with no way to verify where or when it was added. I would think that Savage would have used a jig to locate the holes for drilling but at this point we have not been able to pin point where the factory holes were drilled.

Adding back the missing tang & rear sight plus locating a complete sling and parts is in the $500 to 600 range.

I started 20 plus years ago on the net answering questions about Savage lever rifles. Most I didn't have answers to and required a lot of digging/research. Most were questions I hadn't thought to ask myself. Any question you have after reviewing the books are more than welcome here.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!