Originally Posted by JoeMartin
And, since we are on the topic of RS's. Has anyone ever found a Post War RS? Confirmed, lettered, etc?

I posted about ours, upthread a bit. Not confirmed or lettered, though.

Serial number resolved to 1948. Although one source said '49, but it at least pre-dated the letter boss coding system said to have started in 1949. Ours seemed to have all the right RS features... although the tang sight was a Lyman 1A... and I seem to remember in some other thread here, long ago, that Rick or somebody mentioned the butt plate (or something about the rear stock profile?) seemed a bit different.

Ours came to me from my Grandad, first owner, and I sorta doubt he would have made any modifications to the forestock, checkering pattern, sling studs, etc. It might be conceivable he swapped a non-windage-adjustable tang sight (if that might have been original) for a windage-adjustable Lyman 1A... but I don't think that would have been likely.

It also might have been possible he had the Griffin & Howe cam-lock scope mount added after purchase, but I'd say more likely it came that way from the original selling gunstore -- and maybe even most likely from Savage since they were apparently known to install the G&H mounts from time to time. OTOH, the three mount screw slots were still present, contrary to what some have said about the Savage factory installation system. (OTOOH, seems odd to me anyone would grind those screw heads down so the mount base becomes no longer removable...)

-Chris