Originally Posted by Calhoun
Ranger, looking back at photos of your gun I have to make a correction. It has RS type studs, but not installed like an RS. Your forearm stud is screwed into the wood by the front double lines, an RS would have the front stud using the forearm screw for the stud.
Sorry to mislabel it back then. I think I’d lean towards it being a 99R now, with studs, sights and G&H mount installed aftermarket. Still a fantastic and extremely rare configuration for 1948.

Fair enough, thanks for the re-look.

I've recently passed it on, and my pics aren't great; remind me where is the forearm stud? I don't see evidence of it in any of my snaps... and it's been such a long time since I had it apart that I've forgotten some of it. (Besides, I'm old, memory never was all that great, worse now.)

Hard for me to imagine Grandad might have had aftermarket work done like that -- versus buying a custom-ordered or an already-modified off-the-shelf rifle. Too bad I wasn't bright enough to ask more about when he first lent it to me... in 1974.

Originally Posted by ElkHtrNevada
G&H always ground the screw heads flat when they do the installation.

I suspect that's the part I was slightly mis-remembering, incorrectly attributed to Savage. I did ask G&H once about this one, but they told me they didn't have records that far back. (That seemed a bit odd, but I know they've moved at least a couple of times...)

-Chris