Originally Posted by ElkHtrNevada
The mystery deepens.

I dragged out my 99 300 Sav. 24" bbl serial 73238X that was sold to me years ago as an R model.
It appears to conform to everything in David's book.
But unlike my prewar RS, the fore arm is held on with a screw fastened to a female dovetaill let into the barrel.
Clarification ?

Another thing I ran across is that the 99 wearing the T7 in his book has the mounting screws much farther forward than my RS or the one shown in old Weaver ad. The one in thge book also has flush screws rather than the knurled ones handscrews on mine and in the ad. Looks and carries better no doubt.
1) The 1950 99R forearm eyelet goes into the wood, and a screw holds the forearm on. You can see the forearm eyelet and the screw hold on the forearm here.
[Linked Image from savagefest.net]

2) Prewar 99RS forearm studs replaced the forearm screw for attaching the forearm. As seen here:
[Linked Image from savagefest.net]

3) The T7 mounts do wander a bit.. it's believed the factory ones would be placed like the ad, but there's no firm confirmation on that. I think the standard screws were the knurled heads, and really nice ones show that many were case colored (iirc).

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com