Originally Posted by T_Inman
I’ve hunted ruffs in the east and haven’t found them much, if anymore wily than those out west, or Alaska. Maybe a little but not much at all. Blues don’t always hang around either, though they’re certainly easier than ruffs. Spruce are generally dumb as bricks, but I have sluiced my share of them anyway.

I don’t decoy ducks as it is boring as hell but as far as jump shooting puddle ducks on the water, as I said in my original response a couple of years ago, just getting a shot off with them not knowing you’re there is a hell of a lot more sporting than it is often given credit for, IMO. What some of the purists here are arguing for is just shooting skill anyhow, not hunting. I have never, ever experienced wild Mallards or the like just sit there if they know I am there, like Coues mentioned.

I have no issue with sluicing and don’t feel it is unethical at all, if that is the shot you have.
And not much skill required to shoot a duck that is back pedaling 10' over the decoys.

Not much skill required to jump one from the decoys and shoot him 5' off the water as he is trying to get his schitt together to get out of Dodge.

Want skill on a duck, pass shoot them at 35+ yards.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!