Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by battue
Disagree on a couple items.

If some want to call it purist, they have good reason. However, it goes behind shooting skill. It encompasses Dog work, getting a pup or new Dog, training, the excitement of going. The point or flush, retrieve on land or water, and the appreciation of when they accomplish an extraordinary difficult situation. The Dogs own enthusiasm and desire for the hunt. And when and if a Dog figures out their place in the the puzzle of Bird, Dog, gun.

Without the Dog, I wouldn’t spend thousands yearly on Upland hunting. I’ve been known to go out without the gun at those times when I’ve killed enough for the time between . And I knew one individual who gave up the gun completely. He said, “We can’t point him tomorrow, if I kill him today.”

The shooting is not the entire reason for the doing.
I agree. We never had a dog when we were duck hunting so for us it was hunting ducks, killing ducks and eating ducks.

I don't care if a guy wants to shoot 100% of his ducks while on the wing but they have a problem when I ground swat even though it's 100% legal.

Same bunch that claims a bird must be shot on the wing would probably squirrel or rabbit hunt with a shotgun. Maybe rabbits with a shotgun if running beagles but I see no challenge in hunting them or squirrels with a shotgun, don't see me telling em how much of a POS they are for using a shotgun on a sitting critter.

Bet they shoot all of their deer on the run instead if standing still too. Doubt they stop a walking buck at 30 yards with a bow either. Probably good enough they know the lead and time the release perfect.

Comes down to the "real" hunter wanting to control/run down what I do even though I could care less how the other is shooting his ducks or other animals.

I wasn’t going to talk the squirrel/rabbit thing, but I did think it. If I weren’t real hungry, I’d never shoot a squirrel with a shotgun. I do understand that it is necessary for safety in some areas. It’s just not for me. With lots of beagling experience, I’d shoot a sitting rabbit without hesitation. A sitting pheasant however, would always be put to flight. I’d really look down my nose at a guy who shotgunned a sitting rooster. Why? I’m not sure I know. 🤔