[Linked Image]Hey Hey BSA! Another rifle, another day. Congrats on that H&R 340 as a 'Winner!' Bit of background!

These H&R Model 340 rifles, last of the "300 Series" were all nice rifles and positional departure from mainstream H&R "working man's" guns. Such from about mid-sixties including the Sako sub era as well as FN & Zastva Mauser action editions. The FN principally spanned '68 to '81 and the Zastava from '81 to '84. The necessary aside to say that such wider date range/info is a bit clouded. As to the 340, the data appears consistent.

The Model 330 was the FN Mauser edition immediately preceding. The upside of that model was the FN action which is yet considered a 'half-click' above the Zastava if much of such 'action branding aura', with minor 'fit & finish of fifties era FNs as highpoint. The 330 downside in perspective, surely 'stock styling' as ghost of Weatherby effect. Flared pistol grip, rollover cheekpiece and angular contrasting wood forend. The irony of 'all quality', but 'dated'! The Zastava action Model 340 clearly won the stock design, claiming 'overall balanced victory', "Wow" effect, "classic-light" sculptured stock lines while achieving 'linear recoil effect'. Sealed with a kiss' as delivered from Bishop Stockmakers fully finished. (Few pix of my 340 in 7mm below.) The 340 chamberings were also down from the 330, to .243 & .270 Win, 30-06 and the 7mm Mauser.

And PJ... Model 330 was available in "short mag" configurations. 7mm Rem Mag & 'I believe' maybe .300 Win Mag. FN yet supplied long H&H Mag length action. "Browning" brand offering them. The point here, I don't think the Model 330 ever came in those Long Mag chamberings. The Zastava 340 actions are prominently marked H&R" on left receiver ring as well as on barrel. Chambering is mid-barrel, RIGHT side. My conclusion, that Zastava action of which you complain, not H&R factory work. Check action & barrel branding & chambering for indications of non-originality.

The late Bill Goforth as 'the H&R man with the book to prove it'. smile A small moment of tribute!

Just my take!
Best!
John

Attached Images
R79-2.jpg (15.43 KB, 251 downloads)
R79-10U.jpg (33.32 KB, 252 downloads)
R79-11U.jpg (31.29 KB, 251 downloads)
R79-18U.jpg (23.04 KB, 250 downloads)
R79-5U.jpg (21.85 KB, 242 downloads)
Last edited by iskra; 01/25/23.