How many of you guys actually shoot your Mausers? Stretch their legs a bit?? Every time I take one out, I always worry if it's going to hit the target at 400 yards. A couple years ago I met a guy that was checking his really nice sporter m98. It was dialed right in at 100 yards, but when he shot it at 400 yards to check POI, it was off by about about 12-16". It was not even that windy that day either. It shot so bad that he had to shoot at the life size hog we had set on the hillside. No one ever shot at that target, well I didn't shoot at that target. It was too fn big!!!
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
The pig was too big...^^^ Now, this guy asked me if I'd spot for him and see how far off he was. He said he was going to aim at the center of the hog. First shot more than a foot low and 16" to the right. He makes some adjustment in the scope and fires again. He hits the pig in the azz and I say you are still a foot to the right, but on steel. He said cool, made an adjustment and was closer on the next shot. It was a beautiful rifle, I wish I remember who built it. I then said, now how far off is it going to be at 100 yards??? He said, "I don't know lets try it".. I asked if I could look at his rifle and he said sure. I admired it, but at the same time I noticed the scope was not centered up on the bores axis. it was noticeably off and pointing to one side. I thought that could be why it's not shooting well at 400 yards.
After checking it out, he shot it at 100 yards. It was off to the left by about 5 or 6"... I thought, hmm. What would I do with this thing, if it were mine? I'd probably use windage adjustable rings and try my best to get it centered over the bore axis and in perfect alignment. Thank god I didn't have that kind of issue with this new H&R 340 today!!! Messing with a MOA or more load today, I didn't expect the greatest precision. The rifle is solid now though. I don't think I'd give it up too soon. I do need to load up some more loads with the 180gr Winchester powerpoint bullet. The rifle really seemed to like that old proven load. I have 5 other 30-06 rifles that love that load. Anyway, with a pointy plastic tipped bullet, this is how it did today:
100 yard accuracy fairly abysmal. I'm either going to try a new bullet, or different powder next time out. Maybe even a 178 ELDX. I didn't expect much at 400 yards, and I was right. Not great, but at least I was on paper:

I had to hold the upper left hand corner of the paper to drop it in closer to the orange dot. I knew my hold, based on the 10" steel plate I shot at:

That is slightly over moa (about a 4.5" group). The yote was an easy target as per usual, but I did not do any head shots today. I'll need to work up a much better load for that. Just held on center of the body, with the 4th hash mark down:

Here's the freefloating I did the other day:

That helped immensely.. This is a reminder to take your mausers out shooting. I'll shoot this one a little bit more, working on some loads to see what it likes. I won't be doing anymore work to the rifle, even though I'd like to fit some weaver scope mounts to it. I may just leave those crappy Leupold std's on it.. We will see.. In the thread, "when is it good enough".. 1/2 moa or 1 moa?? This load is 1 moa, I'll find one that is 1/2 or close. Then it will be good enough. Good enough for an old mauser hunting rifle, anyway..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA