Originally Posted by Double_Aught
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Thanks buddy. It is actually an H&R model 340 made from 1981-1983. It is a Zastava action, very similar to the Interarms Mark X or FN commercial action. The stock is what H&R put on this rifle. It is very trim and the rifle is pretty light. Lighter than a pre 64 model 70 featherweight. It may be a Bishop stock, but I'm not totally sure..
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I just bought the rifle a few days ago and have been working on accurizing it. Glass bedded it, adjusted the trigger down to 2 3/8 pounds, and freefloated the barrel. Shoots very well for a light barreled rifle.

Guys saying your scope choice is heavy are full of it too. Unless 13 oz's is heavy. I'm running the same exact scope on this rifle and it balances very well. I'll develop some loads for this thing and run it out to 400 yards. I'd expect sub 2" groups at that range, even with the lowly 180gr Winchester powerpoint load I showed in another post. Good luck with your rifle. In your picture, you show a m1917. The one I posted a pic of also wears weaver bases and Burris Zee rings. That has been a great choice for my sporterized m1917's. Now, having a little experience with the old mauser actions, some were not drilled and tapped very well, so sometimes you run into issues mounting a scope because the bases are slightly out of alignment. When that happens (and it does), you may need to look at some rings that are windage adjustable. I've had to use the Millet angle loc windage adjustable rings. They work, and help to align the scope axis with the bore axis. Also, I've seen a few where the bases needed to be bedded because of ring alignment issues. Hopefully you won't have any problems like that, but it's always a good idea to check for those issues with scope alignment bars.

It’s a sharp looking rifle for sure. Hopefully I won’t have any problems with the Mauser scope base alignment, its at a reputable local smith so everything should be good to go when I get it back. My grandpa’s 1917 is a different story, it’s an eddystone with a roached out bore and I’ve thought about rebarrling back to 30-06 or reboring it to 35 whelen as well. I’ve read they had silverback gorillas tightening the barrels for eddystone back in the day and the receivers are prone to cracking and I’d hate to ruin a family heirloom. I’ll probably wind up sending it to JES and having it rebored eventually. The other issue with that rifle is the swimming pool where the rear sight base used to sit would have to be filled and welded. I’m not sure if it would be worth all that trouble to get a scope on it so I will probably leave the peep on it

Yes, those were the common issues with the Eddystones. A rebore would probably be the way to go and 35 Whelen would be a great choice. Many guys go with the 9.3x62 as well. I've seen the big hole you are talking about on some of the p14's and m1917's that were not finished. Some guys ground the ears off and left the hole. A lot of guys used one piece mounts and a single hole in the rear bridge.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA