Sorting through my tub of bases and rings last night for a rail blank to mill, I came across a pair of circa 2010-ish Burris 'Zee's that I'd forgotten about. My assumption is the 2010 versions were made in Colorado, but I'm not 100% sure of that. I still have one set of the poor fitting current 'Zee's here (owner decided it was too much hassle to return them), so here's some comparison pics. They are different heights, but that's neither here nor there.

1- One of the current set of 'Zee's that I had trouble with:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

2- Current 'Zee's (lt), circa 2010 'Zee's (rt). If you look closely, you get a hint of the difference.

3- Superimposing the cross bolts, the issue is pretty apparent. If anything, this angle makes the difference less pronounced.

Another issue on both new sets is that the distance between the top of the cross bolt and the solid portion of the ring is .010-.012 more than the earlier sample.....likely from the cross bolt being too low. Which is another reason that trying multiple high quality bases made no difference.

The clamping angle issue, combined with dimension above the top bolt and/or the cross bolt height, made the rings want to 'roll' on the cross bolt as the cross bolt was bottomed out in the slot.

I'm not bangin' on Burris, dissin' Pacific Rim products or calling anyones parentage into question...just pointing out what happened. Hopefully this might save people some frustration if they're using these.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner