Now for the other post. Like I said, I ain’t criticizing, or trying for argument, just my own thoughts.
Jackson, had he been there, would likely have taken Cemetery Hill on The first. Maybe he’d have gotten some troops on Culp’s Hill as well.
But every time I hear someone say “if Stonewall had been there”
You can bet your sweet can, things would’ve been different!
Meade never planned a fight at Gettysburg. He had drawn up plans to gather his Army on Pikes Creek, about 12 miles southeast of Gettysburg.
He knew Lee’s Army was near Cashtown and Chambersburg, and he could easily shield Philly, Baltimore and Washington.
He sent Hancock to the fight on the afternoon of the first day. His assurance to Meade, said the union army could hold the ground.
The Confederate Army had no idea what or who was in front of them.
The Calvary Corps, under Stuart, was cut off. He finally rejoined Lee late evening on 2 July!
I can picture General Lee, asking his subordinate commanders “Have To heard from General Stuart?”!
Nobody in the Southern Army knew who or what they were facing!
A helluva way to enter a battle!
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden