Regardless, the charge was dropped into Pete’s lap.
EP Alexander was Pete’s arty commander, so the “Cannonade” became his baby.
Alexander spent most of the morning moving Confederate batteries into more advantageous positions. He knew the black powder smoke from the guns would obscure his view. He told Pete that he’d could only tell the results by returning fire.
I believe that he and Pete, knew this was a forlorn hope attack.
Anyway, as he thought the powder smoke quickly made it impossible to observe Union lines.
Here’s where we might get into another thread! grin
Hunt was Meades arty commander, but Hancock run the Union Center.
Hunt wanted to save ammunition for the coming assault. Hancock, an infantry commander, knew his men wanted arty to reply!
There are several instances where conflicting orders caused confusion, with Hancock ordering batteries to return fire, and Hunt, coming by minutes later, ordering them to stop.
This got into a war of words between the two in the papers later on!
Anyway, the return fire fell off. (I’ve read of Yankee batteries actually discarding ammo in order to withdraw!)
For a minute the smoke cleared, and Alexander saw what he wanted to see.
The guns were gone from the close of trees, and he sent a message to Pete.
Something like “For Gods sake, the guns are gone! Come quick, or I won’t be able to support you!”
Picket went to Longstreet, “Shall I take my Division forward, sir?”
Pete lacked the words. he answered with a nod of his head.
It’s a shame but the flower of the Confederacy, under Picket, Pettygrew and Trimble, were lost on that field.
Lee would never again possess the power to take the initiative in the war, he could only now fight on the defensive.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden