Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
By far, the best book I’ve read about this subject is Glenn Tucker’s
Lee And Longstreet At Gettysburg .
Tucker shoots to hell the hell, the accusations against Pete from Early, Pendleton and others.
As I said, most of the people accusing Pete, were trying to cover themselves for their failures there. (I never heard of Stuart criticism, but I put a large part of the blame on him. He knew where Lee was headed, and his duty as cavalry commander would have been to shield Lee’s army and provide intel of Union movements.
As I said, he got stung at Brandy Station, and figured another ride around the Union army would buff back the shine on his reputation.
Instead, he got cut off, and Lee, embroiled in the second day of battle, was asking his subordinate commanders, “have you heard from General Stuart and where is my cavalry?)
I’ve read that Hood begged Pete for permission to go around round top and attack the Union rear. He would have captured the Union Artillery reserve, and cut Taneytown Road, one of Meade’s supply lines
But Pete, knowing not where the Yankees were, demurred.
“Lee has ordered the attack, and we must follow his orders”.
The dawn attack order to Pete on 2 July was Early’s invention.
And the poor recon by junior Confederate officers actually turned out to be a small blessing. Hunting an unseen route allowed the time fore Sickles to advance his Corp, creating a salient in the Union line.
Meade’s Artillery and Hancock’s quick thinking, supplying infantry, saved their butts!
But the transfer of troops from the center to the left, created a week point in the Union center.
Right now I can’t recall who led them, but 2 Confederate brigades advanced on Cemetery Ridge that evening.
A suicidal charge, by the 1fst Minnesota regiment, ordered by Hancock, turned them back.
“Do you see those colors?” He asked, they said yes. “Then take them!” He said.
Going from memory here, but I believe the 1rst Minnesota suffered 85% casualties!
But they held, turning the Rebels back!
Later, Hancock said the “He would’ve ordered that charge knowing every man would be lost”.
Is it any wonder to admire this man?
7mm
Lanes Florida brigade and Wilcox