Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Finished it up last night.
Both God and reason were against it. The latter I then saw. The former I now devoutly and greatly recognize.
James Longstreet on reflecting on Pickets Charge later in his life.
Lee said afterward, “This is my fault “, but he’s only partly right. Stuart went off on a ride after getting stung at Brandy Station in June. He left Lee essentially blind in Pennsylvania!
Ewell has his share of the blame for not following up on his First day victory, and especially for his and Early’s refusal of Lee’s requests to move around the Union left.
Instead of accepting their share of the responsibility, Early, Stuart, Pendleton and several others tried, fairly successfully, to turn Longstreet into the scapegoat after Lee’s death. (They could never have gotten away with it if Lee were still alive)
Now, over a century and a half later, historians are finally starting to set the record straight.
Many southerners still believe the “Lost Cause” myths that Pete was slow, pouting and even insubordinate at Gettysburg. This is very unfair to a man who’s memory should be honored.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden