Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
1976 Olympics, Montreal. My family went up there and camped, I drove my ‘64 VW Microbus up there to join em (hey, 40 horses on that rebuilt motor over the original 36 grin ). I don’t recall what events we saw, but leaving them I drove northeast along the south shore of the Saint Lawrence. I picked up two Newfie hitchhikers for a distance, Merchant Seamen heading back home, my first exposure to spoken Newfoundland “English” 🙂

This was Francois country. I took four years of French in high school, got an 85 on the Regents exam, knew passé compose, future imparfait, all that Frenchie stuff. All I got from the Quebecois in return was “Je ne comprend pas”.

Then I picked up two French medical students, they was from the Old Country and the Quebecois treated them like royalty. I didn’t make it all the way to the end of the peninsula though, this was before credit cards and my gas/food money was short.

Dropped those guys off, headed south across the Chic Choc Mountains to the south shore. Hit some serious dirt through those spruce woods at one point, but those Microbuses were surprisingly good off-road.

Headed back through the endless woods of New Brunswick. I forget where I crossed back but it was a two lane road, I was the only one there, and the Customs guy having not much else to do searched the vehicle.

So how close did I cut it? Back in NY State coming back across the Hudson River at Bear Mountain I was happy to find there was no toll westbound…. because I didn’t have the cash grin Made it to my parent’s house running on fumes.

After my Quebecois encounters I lost faith in my French. But then six years later I was in Togo, West Africa. Them French-speaking Togolese understood me parfaitment (mais maitenant apres quarantes sept annes j’oublier beacoup).

So screw the French, et les Quebecois aussi 🙂

Good morning Birdwatcher,

Sounds like you had a sewing machine in your ‘64 VW Microbus, I know what that is like the first car I bought with my own money as a 1964 Austin America Mini, every transport truck blew me off the highway lol. They run forever on very little gas.

Luckily for me, when I was going to school one day a woman driving a Mercedes blew a stop sign and hit me. Not much damage but she was panicked and told me she would give me $1,000.00 if I did not report the accident to the insurance company. My car was on its last legs after driving it home from Manitoba to Hudson Quebec then driving 4 cheerleaders home after football practice every day, so I grabbed the check she wrote on the spot, that was $400.00 more than I paid for it lol.

Anyway Just wanted to agree with your assessment of the Frogs in Quebec my family was 3 generation Quebecers and I UNFORTUNATELY for me I was born and raised there.

I also speak French very well, but only because I lived in an area with 4,000 French families and 5 English families and all the girls only spoke French. Since I like the ladies not speaking French was not optional lol.

Anyhow, IMO Quebec is the biggest chithole in North America. The frogs are very rude and ignorant, luckily for me I was smart enough to leave and I moved out west in the 80's. My mother was even smarter than me, she left and lived the last 20 years of her life in West Palm Beach in Florida.

The last place I will ever go on the Planet is Quebec! "MANGEZ DE MERDE GRENOUILLES"

KB

1964 Austin America

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by KillerBee; 02/09/23.

KB