Originally Posted by flintlocke
You are saying it's mostly about sheer numbers out in consumer hands? Naw, I don't really buy into that, there are a fair number of model 70's out there...is there a cottage industry for model 70 trigger replacements? Extractors and businesses up grading them? In my experience, most of the time people replace bbls on a mod 70 is for changing cartridge. There are some great 700 bbls, but there must be a lot of dogs too, every major maker has a 700 pre-fit. Entire bolt assy for 700, 300 bucks, if they had any in stock. Then you need a bolt knob too. The 700 was designed to be built with a minimum of machine tool operations, manufactured easily, sold cheaply to the mass market...it's up to the consumer to make it perform. IMO.
I give up a fair amount of accuracy, add some weight, but for practical hunting, reliability, make mine Mauser. Every major maker has had to pay Mauser patent infringement fines, Springfield '03, Winchester 54/70, Enfield P14, 1917. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
Because there is not a plethora of aftermarket support for Mausers??

Not nearly as many Model 70s out there as there are 700s.

As far as 700 bolt handles coming off, something tells me it is far less than 1%.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 03/14/23.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!