Originally Posted by rickt300
The Mauser is a superior design to both the model 70 and the model 700 when it comes to rugged and reliable. That said I don't presently own a model 70 and my one model 700 is a paper puncher that does that nicely. My usual hunting rifles when I am not playing with leverguns or singleshots are Mauser actioned rifles with a choice of two Springfield 03A3's for backup. My varmint rifle is a Remington model 7 sometimes or otherwise a Savage 110. I could get rid of all the rifles not Mausers or Springfields except the Model Seven and do just fine.

I have a Fieldcraft, a couple of tarted-up Howa Minis, a Baco M70, and three commercial 98s. Mostly I hunt the light ones, but the ones that are satisfying to own and shoot are the 98s, along with a couple of Browning 1885 clones. The mechanisms fascinate me, and the quality of the steel and machining make them a pleasure to operate. That M70 is very nicely done, but that pieced-together bolt is annoying. I’d gladly pay a good bit more for one built like the originals. My pre-64, now owned by my son, had that same feel as the 98s, even though as you say, it’s not quite as good in other ways, and it was a pleasure to hunt with, all 9 1/2 pounds of it.

Another favorite that I don’t currently own is the two-lug Sako. Can’t find anything to fault with those, except the current prices for nice ones. Possibly the finest factory offering ever.

Last edited by Pappy348; 03/25/23.

What fresh Hell is this?