Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Even at the typical ranges where a guy would be dialing?

Seems like when I see game 600-800 yards away it usually either isn’t aware of me at all or doesn’t care.

Keep in mind even a guy inclined and equipped to dial can be walking around with their rifle set to MPBZ.... for example it’s as simple as dialing 6 clicks to be 1.5” high at 100 as just a standard, walkaround, “zero”. Does that make sense? So my scope is zero’d at 100 yards; if the dial is at zero, then bullet impacts are dead on at 100. But if I want to have the advantages of max point blank zero I can just click it up 6 clicks and be “zeroed” 1.5” high at 100. But my drop chart is still correct... because my scopes zero point is still the same (100 yards).

Sorry if I’m being annoying, I’ve tried to explain this in years past and failed so I’m trying to say it multiple ways here. In the context of this thread, when you trust your scope it ain’t no thang to dial it around like that. Whereas the set and forget guys get real spooky about it... “don’t touch that dial!”, haha.

I found a target out on my loading bench the other day from when I first got my NF SHV and built my 6.5 SAUM. I did a test with it where I zeroed at 100, fired a single shot, dialed it like crazy, then back to zero, fired a single shot, repeat 5 times. So, the group is at the bullseye at 100 yards, but each shot has a ton of dialing between it and the previous shot. The 5-shot group is around .7”. That’s the kind of mechanical precision/repeatability us “dialers” are talking about.

A lot of these guys don't get that or don't want to get that Jeff. They even get pissy when you show them a good reasonably priced scope and hunting rifle that will work much better than most Leupolds, but cost far less. They just don't want to hear it.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Set your zero, so it's actually "zeroed":

Then test it at range, using the ballistic plex reticle:

That is the kind of "set and forget" I like in a hunting rifle. Kentucky windage was cool when I was a kid, but they have good reticles these days that take the guess work out of it. You just have to confirm them by using them and setting them up properly.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA