Originally Posted by BC30cal
Muffin;
Good afternoon or I see evening already on the east coast, I hope the middle of the week was kind to you.

Since I often like to wander down rabbit holes just to see what I can learn, after putting together a money pit 10/22 with a 20" Green Mountain barrel which is quite heavy and has a Bentz chamber, I tried something different.

I machined an aluminum block which I then attached to the bottom of the action with a couple 6-48 screws, the idea being to make a recoil lug of sorts. Sorry I don't have a photo of it out of the stock.

Then I bedded the entire barrel and the recoil lug, but floated the action behind it.

[Linked Image]

Just this winter I've put a different 4-12 Tasco with AO on it, but haven't shot it yet with that setup.

With a scope without AO, it didn't shoot as well as BSA's 10/22 with the Kidd barrel, but honestly I never really and truly tried it with enough different types of ammo back when and wandered off into different project rifles.

I'll report back if I learn anything significant, but that's what I did and it shoots fairly well, but again didn't group as well as BSA's.

Oh, some magazines that I have feed better - or better said shave less lead when feeding and as a result give me better groups. That I do remember from back in the day.

All the best with your 10/22 project.

Dwayne

That is a beautiful rifle Dwayne. I'm glad you brought up floating the receiver. I've heard of that method, but have never tried it myself. I have heard of guys having good luck with the Hogue overmold stocks though, where the whole barrel is supported by the rubberized stock. This should be an interesting thread, as we all have our methods to our madness. I'm not always right, but If something works very well consistently, I'll report my experience as such. I forgot to mention that I have 3 buddies that bought the stock like I run on my Kidd barreled 10-22 and they said they ended up using the barrel shim and set the tension so they got the best accuracy. Most did not require a lot of upward pressure, but a little.

Another rifle I remember fighting with was a factory heavy barreled target 10-22. I tried bedding, I tried freefloating, I tried a pressure point on the original laminate stock and then I tried a full length bedding through the barrel channel as a last resort and that is what did it. I actually pulled the original barrel off and bought a new factory Ruger cold hammer forged target barrel for it and nothing helped except for the full length bedding. That was quite the ordeal and honestly, I swore I'd never buy another target model after that. I feel to get the best accuracy/precision a Ruger 10-22 needs a top notch barrel. Now, that doesn't mean the most expensive barrel you can find, but a good quality barrel. Green mountain, Shilen, Lilja, and Fedderson to name a few. I have seen a few cheaper barrels actually shoot well too, but I never asked how they had them bedded. One was an Adams and Bennett heavy barrel, which I believe was a cheap barrel, but it shot lights out.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA