Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by Sheister
Well, I guess the machinists and hobbyists I have talked to have misinformed me on the quality of the Heavy 10 machines?...

"One of the best" they aren't.

Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Be still my beating heart. Nice, pal!...

Thanks. I would have been happy with the Hardinge too; was looking for one when the Monarch presented itself to me.

I would have been happy with a Monarch! smile Although the power supply complexity stuff is a bit daunting.

This one popped up at the perfect time and is in excellent shape and being an inch/metric machine is awesome because I do lots of metric threading on small parts. If you’ve never threaded on a HLV, be sure to try it if you get the chance. The Newark DRO is pretty sweet. The lathe itself is quiet but the RPC isn’t. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This is the spider I made for the back of the spindle of my Webb. It’s held on with two sets of 4 screws…… talk about a pain to get it perfectly (sic) concentric, which was only necessary for craftsmanship reasons, but once done MAN is it useful for stuff way beyond gun work. For example I have an adjustable work stop I insert through the rear of the spindle and is held by that chuck that works great for the type of work I do- typically batches of parts in the 20-200 range. Having a really repeatable work stop on a working lathe is really handy and enables some great work flows. Honestly- I can’t say enough good things about the Webb/Whacheon/Hwacheon WL-435. They are fantastic lathes. Kind of a great combo of old-school “big iron” but with modern spindle speeds (IE for carbide) which a lot of otherwise awesome old heavy iron won’t do. That just a plastic slug I keep in it when not in use so the screws won’t back out and go flying.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Jeff_O; 03/23/23.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!