Originally Posted by Retired_Spook
Originally Posted by 45_100
Curtis does some interesting work. I have watched several of his videos and enjoy them. I have an old Prentice lathe I bought from a guy in Coolidge. Has a 20” swing and 24 foot long bed. Took two boom trucks to load it. Took my backhoe and a forklift to put it in the shop. Probably built in the late 1800’s or early 1900’s.

What do you use it for?

First let me say I am not a machinist. I like to mess around with machine tools and have been fortunate enough to acquire a few. I try to hold tolerances within 1/8”. I bought this lathe for $500 from a guy who wanted it out of his shop. He threw in a Buffalo #22 drill press. He was a well driller and used it to face off flanges welded to steel pipe. The flanges get distorted and won’t seal. He could turn a 21’ joint of 16” pipe.

It needs a lot work which I hope to complete some day. I have used it to modify some brake rotors and turn other non-critical, large diameter projects. The length is not really an advantage to me other than a sturdy shelf in the shop.

When I get it all restored I plan to start making pocket watches. Should be a good market for them.