Originally Posted by Dinny
I was fortunate enough to observe a local smith while he threaded the muzzle of my rifle yesterday. He used a Emco Maximat Super 11 lathe. The barrel was long enough to easily thread while still attached to the action. Both the chuck and the back side of the spindle bore had spiders so the barrel could be indicated in to create near perfect concentricity.

Does any other manufacturer make a lathe similar to the Maximat Super 11 that has the power to cut threads but also has a short headstock so barrels can stay attached to the action for muzzle threading?

I don't see the Maximat Super 11s for sale often and they're priced higher than I want to spend on a smallish lathe.

Any lathe has the power to cut threads--that is the easy part. Browse through this site:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/page21.html

Don't get your heart set on a specific lathe while shopping for used lathes, unless money is no object. Instead learn about all the potential candidates while daily shopping more or less local sources. This way, when a good candidate turns up you will have the knowledge you need to act immediately, rather than allowing someone else to snap up a good deal while you are still trying to research it.

Generally, look for a quality machine, in good condition, that comes with comprehensive tooling. Avoid bare and neglected machines.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg