Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Originally Posted by pete53
my new Tikka rifle has a fiber piece that sticks on the stock , the reason for bedding the rifle is it will make it more solid in the rifle that won`t get soft and wear out like the fiber piece on it now over a few years. as far as shooting this rifle before i glass bed it , it won`t happen i know from many past new rifles all rifles are better off glass bedded so why waste my time taking the rifle apart a bunch of times. even rifles with aluminum bedding blocks shoot better with some glass bedding on top of the aluminum block. besides with my bad shoulders the 30-06 cartridge is not that fun to shoot that much anymore at my age of 70 recoil sucks , so once this Tikka shoots under an inch maybe less with my handloads at 100 yards i am done.

Then why buy a 30-06 in the first place?

until i can get a Winchester extreme 30-06 model 70 , i could use this Tikka rifle on a Canadian moose hunt . i have plenty blued rifles i just want the best to hand down to my son and grandson in a 30-06 S.S. , Tikka is a good rifle but the Winchester extreme S.S. model 70 is the better rifle in my opinion, its all S.S. and the model 70 is the easiest bolt to strip down in any camp , i do have this Winchester on order but it has not shown up yet. plus the 30-06 is the one cartridge you can find ammo for any place in the world . for me the 30-06 is a great hunting cartridge but for target shooting to much recoil give me a 6 BR then. deer hunting in my camp i still use a Ruger #1 257 Weatherby mag. i may shoot 1 shot every 2 years at a good buck , Ruger #1`s are great in a enclosed deer stand because its short because #1 doesn`t really have an action saves 4 inches rifle swings easier in these types of enclosed stands.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman