Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Overpressure is a thing. I’ve seen it. And when you’re pushing the envelope and then the temperature gets into the 80’s, you’re fúcked.

Remember the 75 gr ELDM load I was so happy with? The one some of you guys said whoa Nelly you dumbass, that’s overpressure? And then I said I’m not getting any serious pressure signs and it shoots fantastic? And then you said okay it might shoot fantastic now, but what about when it gets hot? And I said I wasn’t worried about shooting in the heat?

Well, I shot in the heat. Fúck.

Normal bolt, see the little ledge? That ledge holds the bolt shroud on.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I’ll bet some of you already know where I’m going with this.

So here’s the bolt on my .223. Notice anything different?

Kinda odd, the bolt shroud blew off and landed in my shirt pocket. Made it pretty easy to find. Ripped that little ledge clean off.

Lesson definitely learned. And the important question, what’s the name of the piece I need, and where can I buy it?

If anyone wants to kick me when I’m down, feel free, I deserve it.

P

Dang man, that's probably your varmint model too? I'm just glad you are ok!. I know, I've made some remarks about you loading hot, or too hot. It could happen to anyone here, but that is why a lot of us say, start low and "work up". Double check your loads in varying temps as well. I recently had to back off of a damn good load in a new to me 308w, because I was getting stiff bolt lift on a book max load. It brought a tear to my eye because that load shot so damn well. That load was developed in 24 degree temps though. Had to reduce the load from 47gr to 45.5 to find the next good node man!!! But it will be safe, even in the summers heat. You are a good man to admit when you are wrong, and again glad to hear you are not hurt..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA