Seafire,

One of my experiences with H335 wasn't necessarily "bad" powder, but occurred in the early 1990s when Hodgdon ran out of the original H335. They then had some made by a powder manufacturer, though I don't know who. They didn't make any announcement about it, at least that I saw--and was pretty well involved with gun writing by then, and had recently started working regularly for Wolfe Publishing.

I was running low on H335, which was THE .223 powder for many years, so bought a new batch. Loaded some ammo with the same powder charge and 50-grain bullet I'd used for years, also the same brass and primers. The first shot blew the primer--and the chronograph showed a velocity about 250 fps faster than usual--and I'd been using the load a long time. Adjusted the powder charge, and it turned out 2 grains less matched the accuracy and velocity of the original load.

Mentioned this in an article and was contacted by Ron Reiber, who headed Hodgdon's ballistic department for a long time before retiring maybe two years ago. He explained about the "new" powder being hotter than the original, and said the load I was now using was OK according to their pressure-lab tests. (After that Ron and I became good friends, and he provided a lot of good info on various aspects of powder testing and handloading.)

Anyway, the "new" H335 still proved to be pretty dirty-burning, which everybody accepted back then as part of the deal--and still pretty sensitive to heat.

But a decade or so later TAC was introduced, and it produced about the same results but with almost no fouling. In general, it was also less sensitive to heat: During one of the PD shoots my wife and I went on back then, Eileen was using the max listed load of TAC with 50-grain Ballistic Tips, and on a very hot day (the official recorded temperature by the nearest town's weather station was 104) her Kimber of Oregon .223 sporter still did not show the same pressure-signs as H335 even in somewhat lower temperatures. But she did have to let the rifle cool down more often than usual, or the bolt got a little sticky....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck