Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by JMR40
And I've never driven an automatic that couldn't manually be placed in the best gear for the situation. Too many automatic drivers just want to put it in "D" and forget about it. If I'm loaded or towing heavy, or driving in mountains I'm manually changing gears quite often, especially going down.

That doesn't meet the need here. I'm going to go so far as to say "you're wrong" but I'm going to try to explain why so as not to start a fight. smile It is pretty mountainous here. One of my favorite roads .. gets me to my hunting spot .. is steep in sections and curvy in sections but it also has some flat and straight, some flat and curvy, some steep and straight. The conditions change so quickly that changing what gear you're in with an automatic is an absolute pain in the ass. It'll cost 10-15 minutes driving from hunting to home .. at least it does me. The problem is that the shifters on the automatics aren't intuitive / "by feel" well enough.

Picture coming down a long hill straight ahead at 65-70 going into some 30-35 mph turns, a short straight stretch, maybe a little uphill, then another steeper drop with turns, straights, etc. It's easy with a stick, it's a pain in the ass with an automatic. You could just slow down but if you do you'll trigger a road rage incident from the people behind you who are more able to drive the road conditions. I don't want to be that self-centered dick behind the wheel.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you haven't driven anything 2011/2012 or newer with a manual-mode automatic transmission. You put the auto's gear-selector in "M" and use the +/- button on the shift-stalk of the HD pickups or console shifter in most 1/2tn's. That +/- button shifts faster than you can gear-jam a true manual. My 6-spd can start in 3rd if I wish. I haven't run any of the newer 8/9/10spd autos in the newer pickups yet but that 6-spd in my '11 F250 6.7L Ford SMOKES every manual transmission for towing, climbing, engine-braking, etc, etc, etc.

I've got a 5-spd Tremec in a 2800# car w/400HP 406CID small-block that I drive 700-1000Mi/summer. It's a fun car with that engine/transmission combo and keeps me plenty tuned up to jump in and drive pretty much any manual transmission but the only way I'd go back to a manual in a pickup is if I wanted to ensure that my wife was never tempted to drive it.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.