Originally Posted by Cowboybart
Originally Posted by horse1
my '11 F250 6.7L Ford SMOKES every manual transmission for towing, climbing, engine-braking, etc, etc, etc. .

If by SMOKES you mean out runs it on a short hill, you may be correct. Pull 20K up a 40 mile grade and your AT will overheat and hate you enough to quit. When it comes to maintenance, I put a clutch in every 350K, you rebuild every 100K.

Yep, autos sure are nice up here on icy alaskan roads. My 1992 cummins, if you let off the clutch too quickly shifting gears, that rear-end would kick out, due to all the engine compression. Or even letting off the throttle too quickly going down hill.

I don't know how this can be as diesel engines don't operate on a vacuum like gas engines do. Gas with a "posi" I completely understand - that's why there is a clutch. Has to be operator error.

Why would the auto heat up if it’s locked up properly and it’s working correctly? The Aisin in mine gains a few degrees on really hard pulls but it’s never come close to overheating with the 42ft toy hauler but I’m only 28-32k combined so maybe you’re pulling more weight.

I’ve got no bones about the manuals, they treated me well but this auto hasn’t had a blip so far and works amazing if operated sanely.

Semper Fi