Originally Posted by Cowboybart
Originally Posted by horse1
my '11 F250 6.7L Ford SMOKES every manual transmission for towing, climbing, engine-braking, etc, etc, etc. .

If by SMOKES you mean out runs it on a short hill, you may be correct. Pull 20K up a 40 mile grade and your AT will overheat and hate you enough to quit. When it comes to maintenance, I put a clutch in every 350K, you rebuild every 100K.

I'm @ 220K Mi (I put them all on, bought it new) and haven't touched the transmission yet save for a couple of fluid/filter swaps.

Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by horse1
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you haven't driven anything 2011/2012 or newer with a manual-mode automatic transmission. You put the auto's gear-selector in "M" and use the +/- button on the shift-stalk of the HD pickups or console shifter in most 1/2tn's. That +/- button shifts faster than you can gear-jam a true manual. My 6-spd can start in 3rd if I wish. I haven't run any of the newer 8/9/10spd autos in the newer pickups yet but that 6-spd in my '11 F250 6.7L Ford SMOKES every manual transmission for towing, climbing, engine-braking, etc, etc, etc.

I've got a 5-spd Tremec in a 2800# car w/400HP 406CID small-block that I drive 700-1000Mi/summer. It's a fun car with that engine/transmission combo and keeps me plenty tuned up to jump in and drive pretty much any manual transmission but the only way I'd go back to a manual in a pickup is if I wanted to ensure that my wife was never tempted to drive it.

You'd be wrong on that limb. Buying a truck with an automatic was the single most expensive mistake I've ever made. I had a 2014 F250 for a few months .. and got rid of it taking over $20K loss in the process to get back to a stick shift.

Was it the automatic transmission that caused you a problem or something else?

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.